Show Navigation

Government

The Royal Burgh of Dumfries

Bell used by Dumfries town crier

Description:

In the times before most people could read, a Town Crier was employed by the Town Council to read out news and instructions to the townspeople at the Market Cross on the High Street.

 

This is the bell last used by Jeremiah Knight the Town's common crier, who retired in 1861.

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1936.24
Digital Number:
DMMS018n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council