Show Navigation

Government

The Burgh of Maxwelltown

William Gillies, Provost of Maxwelltown, 1853 - 1859

Period:
19th Century
Description:

William Gillies is the first name engraved on the Provost's Chain of Office, Town Council of the Burgh of Maxwelltown.

 

William and his son John Lawson Gillies established a sawmill on the north end of Glasgow Street.  The 1852 Pigot and Slater Trade Directory records "Wm Gillies & Son, Timber Merchants".

 

John Lawson Gillies followed his father, and was Provost of Maxwelltown between 1866 and 84.

Dimensions:
9" x 6"
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.485
Digital Number:
DMFA069n
Creation Date:
7 April 1889
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council