Show Navigation

Government

The Burgh of Maxwelltown

Provost's Chain of Office, Town Council of the Burgh of Maxwelltown

Description:

The pendants were made in Birmingham, and have the date mark for 1897.

 

The lower badge bears two inscriptions, on the front, 'RIVIRESCO - THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE - BURGH OF MAXWELLTOWN - 1810' and on the reverse, 'CHAIN PRESENTED BY SUBSCRIBERS 1857 - BADGE PRESENTED BY PROVOST CHICKEN 1898'.

 

The names of the twelve Provosts are aslo engraved on the reverse of the lower badge:

 

William Gillies (1853 - 59)
Andrew Stewart (1859 - 60)
James Caldow (1860 - 66)
John L Gillies (1866 - 84)
Thomas F Smith (1884 - 89)
John Cowan (1889 - 96)
John Chicken (1896 - 05)
John Herries (1905 - 07)
John H Nicholson (1907 - 13)
Alex Turner (1913 - 15)
Samuel Arnott (1915 - 26)
David Brodie (1926)

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1996.30.2
Digital Number:
DMAC022a-d
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture