Show Navigation

Textiles

Hosiery Manufacturing in Nithsdale

Handframed polo neck from McGeorge's, Dumfries

Period:
20th Century
Description:
James McGeorge took over Robert Scott and Sons in 1881 to become the largest firm in Dumfries. Four years later it began to specialise in gloves which became particularly popular in colonial markets. The trade was very successful, and when the large St Michael's Street mills became vacant in 1888 McGeorge's transferred there. These mills were demolished in 1990 when the company moved to a factory on the outskirts of town. The factory ceased work in 1992.
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0207.39
Digital Number:
DMTX024a, DMTX024b
Creation Date:
1986
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture