Show Navigation

Textiles

Hosiery Manufacturing in Nithsdale

Cashmere scarf from McGeorge's, Dumfries

Period:
20th Century
Description:

After a period of amalgamations and partnership changes, James McGeorge emerged as the largest firm in the Dumfries hosiery trade. From 1885 this firm specialised in the production of gloves on knitting machines designed and developed in their own works. Further expansion took place from 1888 when the vast St Michael’s Mills became vacant and McGeorge’s transferred business to the weaving sheds there. By 1902 the firm also had part of the Nithsdale Mills where 700 - 800 workers, mostly young women, were employed. McGeorge’s also operated a glove factory in Sanquhar, and other smaller units in the country districts around Dumfries. The firm made woollen gloves, stockings and ties of silk and cotton.

 

In spite of fierce competition and changing fashions hosiery continued as an important industry in Dumfries until the 1990s, when J & D McGeorge was forced to close.

Place of Production:
Dumfries
Materials/Media:
cashmere
Dimensions:
L 1320mm, W300mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2000.1
Digital Number:
DMTX080a, DMTX080b
Creation Date:
c1985
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture