Show Navigation

Mining & Quarrying

Miners & Quarrymen

Walter Francis Montagu-Douglas-Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch & 7th of Queensberry, Land owner at Wanlockhead (1806 - 1884)

Period:
19th Century
Description:

The Buccleuch family were (and still are) the owners of much of the land at Wanlockhead and who leased the Mining Grounds to the various Companies over the centuries.

 

It was Walter Francis who, when the mining operations reverted to him in 1842, probably had most influence over the working conditions of the miners and their lives in general. He provided a doctor, allowed the miners to form a Cooperative Society, moved smelting operation further away from the centre of population and petitioned the Presbytery of Penpont for a Disjunction and Erection Quoad Sacra of a New Church and Parish of Wanlockhead, which was granted and the Church of St. John built.

Source:
Museum of Lead Mining
Digital Number:
WHFA001n
Copyright:
Wanlockhead Museum Trust