Show Navigation

Mining & Quarrying

Lead

View in the Lead Hills near Wanlockhead

Period:
20th Century
Description:

This photograph is of the Leadhills near Wanlockhead.  A burn runs through the valley, also visible is a cottage sheltered by a row of pine trees,  and sheep are scattered over the hillside.

 

Taken from "A Photographic Record of a Holiday in Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire (with one or two views outside) August 1937".  This photograph album was compiled by H D Hewitt, 9th January 1938. The group of people pictured in the photographs are of a learned society, probably a geology group - who spent their time on field excursions to local places of geological significance.

 

There is evidence of mining for lead ore or galena around Wanlockhead and Leadhills in the Lowther Hills since the Middle Ages. At that time lead was being exported to Holland and Belgium for use in the production of lead glazed pottery. This area, rich in both lead and precious metals, developed into the centre of the Scottish lead mining industry. More lead mines were opened across the region from the late 18th to the mid 19th Centuries. The lead mines of Dumfriesshire and Galloway were the source of almost all Scottish lead production.

Place of Production:
Wanlockhead, Dumfriesshire
Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
height 82mm, width 116mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1982.50.66
Digital Number:
DMPG029n
Creation Date:
10th August 1937
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council