Show Navigation

Brick & Tileworks

Dumfries & Galloway

Workmen at Buccleuch Brickworks, Sanquhar

Period:
20th Century
Description:

This photograph shows a group of workmen standing in front of a row of brick kilns at Buccleuch Brickworks.

 

The old place name of Bricklands tells us that brick making was a local trade in the Sanquhar area. In 1885 Matthew McIver opened the Buccleuch Brickworks on the site of the ancient brickfields. He was an early conservationist, inventing a system of drying bricks using exhaust steam from his factory engines. The Buccleuch, a fine quality terra cotta facing brick is often found on local buildings. 

Place of Production:
Buccleuch Brickworks, Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire
Materials/Media:
paper, card
Dimensions:
(image) length 109mm, width 152mm; (mount) length 202mm, width 253mm
Source:
Sanquhar Tolbooth Museum
Accession number:
SQRTM:1997.1.2
Digital Number:
DMPG007n
Creation Date:
c1900
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council