Show Navigation

Theatre

The Palace Theatre, Kilmarnock

The Opera House, Kilmarnock

Period:
19th Century
Description:
With the opening of the Opera House in John Finnie Street (where the shell of the old Sandrianne Public House stands today), in 1875, Kilmarnock got its first respectable theatre.

The Opera House had a few years of unusual popularity, but this was not to be for very long. As travel became easier, patrons satisfied their desire for play acting by visiting the bigger Glasgow theatres.
Materials/Media:
photograph
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
KH/B250c
Digital Number:
EAPG118n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council