Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Whithorn

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Although the tolbooth in the centre of George Street at its lowest point has obviously long gone, the absence of war memorial and cars indicates an early date for this view. The sign above the door identifies the Grapes Hotel, which seems not to stretch to the corner. T. Martin, whose grocer’s shop may therefore be completely separate from its neighbour, was in business by 1861 and still operational in 1881. His father was head groom at Glasserton House. The building across the entry is clearly also commercial premises. Street lighting, installed in 1854, is difficult to locate.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.1
Digital Number:
SRPG043n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council