Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Myrton Castle

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Built around 1500, this older part of Myrton Castle accommodated King James IV on at least one occasion. It replaced a 12th century wooden castle on its motte, was given an L-shaped, split-level extension, and was in its turn replaced by the present Monreith House. The home of the McCullochs before passing to the Maxwells of Monreith. in the late 17th century, its last McCulloch occupant, Sir Godfrey, obliged the king of the brownies by changing the course of a new main sewer to avoid the royal underground throne room and in return was later plucked from imminent execution in Edinburgh’s Grassmarket.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.18
Digital Number:
SRPG060n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council