Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Mochrum Place

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Old Place of Mochrum on the edge of Mochrum Loch is a double tower house consisting of two originally totally separate buildings, the earlier dating from the 15th century and the later from the early 17th. They were restored between 1873 and 1880 from a seriously ruinous state and joined together by the 3rd Marquess of Bute, “an almost maniacal medievalizing restorer”, who had inherited the estate as Earl of Dumfries. The ruins of Whithorn priory and Cruggleton church also received the benefits of his restorative enthusiasm. This view probably shows the later, eastern, Red Tower.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.20
Digital Number:
SRPG062n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council