Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Isle Head, Isle of Whithorn

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Stein Head (background), the next headland north-east from Isle Head (foreground), has lived up to its name, “stone headland” in Scots, for three ships have been wrecked on or near it. The picture makes clear the nature of the coast in the area, explaining why from 1869 till 1919 the Isle had a lifeboat station, which was responsible for saving 38 lives. The absence of man-made features means that the scene today is unchanged from the picture. In the early 20th century the local golf course was situated between Stein Head and the village.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.7
Digital Number:
SRPG049n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council