Show Navigation

Photography

Photographic Views of Kilmarnock & Loudoun

The Juggs, Kilmaurs

Period:
19th Century
Description:

The village of Kilmaurs, just north of Kilmarnock, first received a charter making it a burgh of barony in 1527, but the village dates back far earlier, it's church was founded as early as 1170.  The village was always associated with the Cunningham family, the Earls of Glencairn, but the estate was sold to Henrietta Scott, the Marchioness of Titchfield in 1786.

 

The picture shows the old parish council chambers known locally as the 'Juggs', due to the iron collar or 'jugg' which still hangs from it's walls.  This collar was used in the same way as stocks were, as a form of punishment by public humiliation.

Place of Production:
Kilmaurs, Ayrshire
Materials/Media:
glass plate negative
Source:
Dean Castle
Digital Number:
EAGP145n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council