Show Navigation

Photography

Photographic Views of Kilmarnock & Loudoun

Lauder Bridge, Kilmarnock

Description:
Named after Hugh Lauder of Lauder's Emporium, King Street, who raised the funds for it's construction, Lauder Bridge, situated on the Kilmarnock Water near Dean Castle, was opened in 1905 by Provost Hood.  Immediately after the opening ceremony people rushed onto the bridge in such numbers that it collapsed injuring a number of them.  It was repaired but has since been replaced by Dean Road.
Place of Production:
Kilmarnock
Materials/Media:
glass plate negative
Source:
Dean Castle
Digital Number:
EAGP148n
Creation Date:
20th century (early)
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council