Show Navigation

Photography

Photographic Views of Kilmarnock & Loudoun

Kilmarnock House Industrial School

Description:
 Kilmarnock House was the comfortable townshouse of the Boyd family, the EArls of Kilmarnock, which became their home after a fire devastated Dean Castle in 1735. It has since been pulled down but stood opposite the new Sheriff Court in the town.  It later became a ragged school around 1875 and then later still, as in this image, the Kilmarnock Industrial School.  The boys in the foreground are probably some of the pupils there.
Place of Production:
Kilmarnock
Materials/Media:
card
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
kimmg: 1994/15/6
Digital Number:
EAPG256n
Creation Date:
1905
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council