Show Navigation

Photography

Photographic Views of Cumnock & Doon

Burns' Memorial Tower, Mauchline

Description:

To mark the centenary of the death of Burns, it was deemed appropriate that Mauchline should have a National Burns Memorial, for it was while a tenant at Mossgiel Farm close to Mauchline from 1784 to 1788 that Burns composed many of his best known works, and became a national figure. The prime movers in the proposal to erect a Memorial to the poet were the members of the Glasgow Mauchline Society, who organised a national appeal to raise £5,000 for the building costs. A design competition for the Memorial was won by William Fraser with his Scots Baronial tower submission. The foundation stone was laid on 23rd July 1896 and the Memorial opened in May 1898.

Materials/Media:
glass plate slide
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
GL.R1317
Digital Number:
EAGP166n
Creation Date:
1914
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council