Show Navigation

Photography

Nicolson's Wigtownshire Photographs

Wigtown Tennis Club

Description:
Members of Wigtown Tennis Club posed in front of the pavilion shared by the Bowling and Tennis Clubs (bowlers' accommodation on the left, tennis pavilion on the right).  Pavilion, bowling green and tennis courts were situated in the centre of the square in an area surrounded by a wall and railing and lined with mature trees.  It is clearly visible in the right background of the Root Show picture.  Today only the bowling green survives.  The racquets, clothing, and ages of the members all repay careful study.  The headgear, especially the lady in the centre of the front row, must have caused problems during energetic rallies.  At a later date notable members of the club were the Shaw sisters, daughters of the famous provost, in the 1930s and in the 1940s Emma Wallace, winner of the ladies' singles title at the Galloway Championships.
Place of Production:
Wigtown
Materials/Media:
glass plate
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1994.28.14
Digital Number:
SRPG004n
Creation Date:
1905-10
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council