Show Navigation

Photography

Nicolson's Wigtownshire Photographs

Wigtown High Street

Description:
Wigtown High Street looking west with Nicolson's premises prominent in the right foreground.  The display case on the wall to the right of the right-hand window contains examples of his studio portraits while the rack on the left of the doorway contains his postcards.  The sign above the doorway at the left of the building indicates the entrance to Nicolson's studio.  The shop three doors up is the original premises of Wigtown and District Co-operative Society, who later moved 100 yards east into a shop nearer the town centre, where their successors still operate today.  Most of the buildings at the top of the hill on the right-hand side were demolished and replaced by houses.  Note the elegant perambulator in the middle of the street.
Place of Production:
Wigtown
Materials/Media:
glass plate
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1994.28.11
Digital Number:
SRPG003n
Creation Date:
1905-10
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council