Show Navigation

Photography

Nicolson's Wigtownshire Photographs

Wigtown Fair

Description:
The fair at Wigtown on the traditional site opposite Duncan Park and the building known as The Barns with its prominent crow stepped gables.  Part of The Barns was used as a slaughterhouse and the rest as stables.  Today the building, last occupied in the 1950s by Mr Stanley Prince's garage business, has gone and been replaced by a car showroom.  At a later stage than this photograph the fairground site was occupied  by a shed in which Mr John Rennie showed the first films to be screened in Wigtown, the films arriving on the early evening down train and being returned on the last up train.
Place of Production:
Wigtown
Materials/Media:
glass plate
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1994.28.22
Digital Number:
SRPG005n
Creation Date:
1905-10
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council