Show Navigation

Photography

Nicolson's Wigtownshire Photographs

Low Vennel, Wigtown

Description:
The distinctive roof of the County Arms hotel can be seen on the left at the bottom of the street in this picture of Wigtown's Low Vennel.  The narrow, cluttered street presents a striking contrast to the picture of New Road and makes it clear why another entrance to the town square was necessary.  Two doors up from the County Arms is one of the town's blacksmith smithies, latterly occupied by the Turner family.  Filling the background is the north side of the sandstone County Buildings, erected in 1863 on the site of two previous tolbooths.  Several of the children in the foreground are barefooted, the normal summer condition at this time for children from all backgrounds.
Place of Production:
Wigtown
Materials/Media:
glass plate
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1994.28.23
Digital Number:
SRPG006n
Creation Date:
1905-10
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council