Show Navigation

Art Collections

The Dick Institute Collection

Sandbed Street, Kilmarnock

Period:
19th Century
Description:

Running alongside the Kilmarnock Water this was the main road south from the Cross until King Street was opened in about 1808. Stage coaches would leave the yard behind the Crown Hotel, cross the bridge and speed south to Ayr. There are still some old buildings in the Sandbed but most sites were rebuilt to face King Street. John Walker and Sons original shop is one such site.

 

James MacKay was a native of Kilmarnock and painted several local scenes. He was the brother of Alexander MacKay, an established portrait painter and David MacKay who was a Provost of Kilmarnock. 

Materials/Media:
oil on canvas
Dimensions:
620 x 530mm
Source:
The Dick Institute
Accession number:
FA/A163
Digital Number:
EAFA116n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council